Thank you for your interest in joining the Traditional Okinawan Goju-Ryu Karate-do Federation (TOGKF). Higaonna Sensei as Chief Instructor established TOGKF to preserve and expand Traditional Okinawan Goju-Ryu Karate-do.
Only Dan gradings prior to 01 Jan 2023, from Sensei’s former organization are accepted without possible retests. Applicants with Dan gradings from other organizations must test with TOGKF after a probationary period as described below.
CONDITIONS OF APPLICATION
Many TOGKF members enjoy a long relationship with Higaonna Sensei and his former organisation and understand the basics of TOGKF membership – especially how it applies to new members from another style. Sensei welcomes member applications from other styles if they are committed to training themselves and others in traditional Okinawan Goju-Ryu Karate-do.
People who do not wish to become members are still welcome to train at the Higaonna dojo.
Here are some examples of TOGKF’s normal process that is followed for applicants who wish to join us.
- We encourage applicants to attend a TOGKF event or Dojo training to experience Higaonna Goju Ryu before finalising their application, please contact us for a list of local TOGKF instructors.
- People from other styles can join the TOGKF, but they must resign from their current organisation and focus on developing TOGKF technique.
- TOGKF understands and respects that applicants may have trained in other Karate styles, but TOGKF requires all members to be graded by TOGKF.
- TOGKF never gives rank to any member without a TOGKF grading examination. There is no promise, guarantee, or expectation that applicants will receive a TOGKF grade equal to their former organisation’s grade.
- If the applicant from another style was a ‘black belt’, then the new member is considered an ‘ungraded black belt’ until graded by TOGKF. As a practical matter, the new member may wear a black belt and will be viewed as a ‘Shodan’ during their probation period.
- New members who hold a Dan grade in another organisation must wait a minimum of one year before attempting their initial TOGKF grading in Okinawa.
- New members are permitted to advertise (Facebook, website etc) as TOGKF members, but they are not permitted to use any rank issued by a previous organisation, however they may of course include their prior martial arts history.
- To fast track a successful application, new applicants would ideally include a reference from an existing TOGKF member after having practiced and enjoyed training with them.
- Applicants are probationary and will be observed for a minimum 12 months by senior TOGKF instructors before full affiliation is granted.
By proceeding with this application, you agree to the terms requirements set out above.